“Lous Tchancayres”, in the Landes’
dialect, it’s all simply means in English “The Men on Stilts” (“Les Echassiers”,
Since 1972, the year of its foundation,
the members of the folk group Lous Tchancayres, all amateurs, have paid
particular attention to reviving their ancestors dances and customs.
Our group is made up of an average of 25 women and men
on stilts, aged from 5 to 35, 8 dancers at ground level and 4 musicians.
The group (almost) complete
People on stilts out walking
In the traditional customs, on top of their stilts but
at ground level too, our dancers will surprise you with their ability to
perform “rondeaux”, “polkas”, jigs, “scottishes”…
Some of our members take part in the races on stilts
of the Landes folk groups federation tournament too.
Every year, the group Lous Tchancayres organizes twenty
around trips to present its dances in the different regions of France but
So, we liven up various types of events :
- villages fetes,
- fairs, commercial events
We take part in national and international festivals too,
including in the recent past :
- 1993 : tour of 2 weeks through Ukrainia
- 1995 : International Festival of Folklore in Israel
- 1997 : Festival of the “Hareng d’Or” (Gold Herring)
in Etaples sur Mer (Pas-de-Calais, France) where we got the Public Prize.
- 1998 : Festival of the “Chêne d’Or” (Gold Oak)
of Saint Amand Montrond (Cher, France)
- 1999 : International Festival of Folklore of Vitoria
- 2004: Feast of Grape in Fréjus (Var, France)
- 2004: World Festival of Folklore in Montréjeau
- 2005: Engwiller Folie's / Inter-folk Musics and Dances
Festivals (Bas-Rhin, France)
- 2005 and 2006: Festival Internacional do Mundo Celta de Ortigueira
- 2006: Festival Imaginarius (Portugal)
- 2006: International Festival of Folklore of Moerbeke-Waas (Flanders, Belgium)
Depending on the organisers’ wish, we make processions
with music and up to 2 hours of performance of folk dances, for the best
part on stilts but also at ground level.
We are free at week-ends and during the school holidays.